Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Twd: Bagels

Today is a triple bread whammy day.  My previous post shared the bread I made for World Bread Day and for the Bread Baking Babes.   



Today is also the posting day for the Tuesdays with Dorie/Baking with Julia baking group.   This go-round, we all baked bagels. 



I've made bagels before using other recipes, so I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a second rise.  It clearly didn't seem to matter, however. 

During the boiling phase, I timed the bagels for one minute on each side.  The end-result was a bagel that had just the right amount of chew.


I did conduct an experiment of sorts.  For the first batch, I did not use the egg white wash.  The bagels baked up with an obvious uneven surface, but the taste was not compromised.



For the second batch, I brushed the bagels with the egg white wash and sprinkled on some sesame seeds and some poppy seeds.   This batch looked more like the traditional bagel, so it seems that the wash is a useful step in the process.


Our bagel hostess this month is Heather of Heather’s Bytes  Stop by Heather's blog for more information about the recipe, then head over to the Tuesdays with Dorie website to see how the participating bakers fared.





6 comments:

Inge and Gillian said...

Ah, soft "pillowy" bagels, only gluten flour can achieve. They look delicious. Nice post.

loavesandstitches said...

Beautiful! Good job and good to know the egg white makes a difference.

lauren said...

Thanks for the egg wash comparison - they look great!

Sweet and That's it said...

Sorry I’m late!
Tonight I've started this delicious „tour des blogs“ to see how the 85 bagels turned out.
Very interesting to see how eggwash can influence the result.
I had great fun making and bathing and baking them and will remake them for sure.

Cher Rockwell said...

Deliciously done :-)
This was a fun project - one that makes me appreciates a good, warm bagel from a bakery all the more...

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the results of your egg wash experiment :-)