Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TWD: A Tourtely Apple Tart (Pie)

I was looking forward to making this week's TWD selection, A Tourtely Apple Tart. I love apple pies, so anytime I can find a new, delicious recipe is a good thing.

On Sunday, I prepared both the crust and the filling for Monday's baking.





While I was making the filling, I knew, just Knew!, that I should have added some lemon zest for brightness and a touch of acidity. But, I didn't. I followed the recipe.



Truly, the filling needs that kick of lemon, so I will mark the book accordingly, and next time, add the zest.

Instead of raisins, I added the remainder of my supply of currants, which was just the correct amount. (See, they didn't go to waste!)


The pie/tart assembled beautifully, and baked up nicely as well.




The tough part was getting through dinner so I could try a piece. My dear daughter, bless her heart, even tried some, although I know she does not care for cooked apples. She agreed as well that a touch of lemon would have improved the flavor.



Overall, this pie/tart is a winner, and I will add it to my repertoire.



This week's hostess was Jeanette of
The Whimsical Cupcake. Jeanette will have the recipe posted as well.


For more examples, hop over to the Tuesdays with Dorie blog.

10 comments:

Kayte said...

You know me, I think everything needs a kick of lemon! Your tart looks gorgeous...my apples cooked so far down in the time she said to cook them that I did not have nice big apple chunks like you do. I love the draped effect with the crust with those larger apples. And that little apple cut out is so cute! I didn't do a thing to my top, which I am now much disappointed in...I wish I had thought to do something. Oh, wait, I did do one thing...I accidentally dripped soup at lunch from the ladle onto the crust (one drip) so there is a nice brown spot in my perfectly otherwise plain crust. Okay, that doesn't really count, does it? Your tart looks fabulous!

Peggy said...

Your tart is beautiful. I love the little apple shaped hole in it. Great job. I skipped on this one and now am wishing I had made it.

natalia said...

Ciao Judy ! i love your tart ! In mine the apple vinegar added enough punch !

The Food Librarian said...

This is a winner! Looks great! - mary

Flourchild said...

Perfect! It would get the rosette at the State fair!

Nicole said...

It looks great! I love that you can see the shape of the apples through the top crust. I mashed my filling a bit since I was making small tarts. I loved this recipe!

Jacque said...

I thought the same thing, and then forgot to add the lemon. Oh well, it was still good. I like how yours looks nice and chunky. I think the stirring in the pot turned mine to mush.

Tia said...

great sequence of pix!
Buttercreambarbie Tia

Flourchild said...

Check this out! I found the best recipes for the Friendship bread starter! Im in love!!
http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/recipe-box

TeaLady said...

Beautiful tart. Love the little apple cut out.

My apples were awfully dark by the time I sliced the tart. Citrus would have helped a lot.