Friday, June 13, 2008

Boysenberries again


Recently, I had the great fortune to be the recipient of some fresh boysenberries. This was exciting for two reasons. I wanted to use them in a dessert (see TWD post below) and also in a salad recipe that I had just discovered.


This salad contains ingredients that I love -- fresh berries, arugula, and blue cheese -- and is simple to prepare.


Berry, blue cheese and arugula salad

(adapted from a recipe in the June 2008 issue of Sunset)


3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

¼ teaspoon dry mustard

¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 ounces arugula (about 13 cups)

6 ounces blackberries (boysenberries, marionberries, loganberries, etc.)

2 ounces mild blue cheese


In a salad bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, thyme leaves, mustard, salt, and pepper.

Add arugula and gently toss until leaves are coated with dressing. Add berries and gently toss. Divide amoung 4 salad plates. Crumble a half ounce of blue cheese on each salad.



I am submitting this delicious salad to June’s Weekend Cookbook Challenge (#29), hosted by Mike of Mel’s Diner. When the results are finally posted on the WCC site, I’m sure you’ll find many other delicious salads of the season.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny - I did an arugula salad for the WCC too! Mine was plain, though - yours looks delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Judy,

That looks good - I mean really good! Thanks for participating!

Mike

The Apron Queen said...

I *LOVE* bleu cheese. I never though to pair it with berries though. This looks wonderful.


Stop by for a few bites of My Big Fat Greek Salad: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-big-fat-greek-salad_21.html

Anonymous said...

What a great looking salad! I'll have to pay more attention to my June issue of Sunset!